Snuffle Mat Uses & Care Instructions
- For our kibble fed friends, a snuffle mat can help to slow them down at meal time so they don't gulp their food and can help in the prevention of bloat.
- A snuffle mat can also help to entice a dog who may be unsure of eating out of traditional plastic/metal bowls.
- A tired dog = a sleepy dog. If your dog suffers from separation anxiety, try giving them a snuffle mat before you leave. Once they have found all the treats/food they will be too sleepy to realize you are gone.
SENIOR OR RECOVERING DOGS
- For older dogs who are not as mobile as they once were or have trouble eating out of a bowl, the snuffle mat is flat and closer to the ground. If they have trouble bending down to eat their food, the mat can be placed on a box or small table to help alleviate the strain on their bodies.
- Dogs recovering from surgery or restricted on the amount of exercise they can do, the snuffle mat is great as it provides mental stimulation without the physical requirement.
*Disclaimer: Please consult with your veterinarian prior to the use of a snuffle mat for recovering/restricted dogs.
- Snow storms, freezing temperatures, rain, even extreme heat make it impossible to give our dogs the exercise they require. A snuffle mat can help with this by allowing them to work on their brain & nose skills.
- Use the snuffle mat to help distract your dog when introducing them to new environments, sights or smells. It will help them not to focus on the anxiety causing noises.
- Assists with crate training by making crate time = fun time!
- When you have company over to your house, give the dog a snuffle mat in a separate safe area for them to be able to settle down and not be anxious around the new people in the home.
- Help acclimate your puppy/dog to the car by allowing them to use the snuffle mat while on car rides.
- Keep your dog focus on something constructive for them rather than destructive for you.
- Encourages their natural instinct to sniff/forage for their food.
HOW TO USE MY SNUFFLE MAT
1. When you first receive your snuffle mat in the mail, it may be a bit flattened due to the shipping process. Instantly bring it back to life by turning it upside down and giving it a good shake side to side (this is also a good way to check to make sure you dog has found all the treats you hid in the mat)!
2. Dry treats or kibble work best in the mat. Take a handful of the treats/kibble and sprinkle them over the mat. Initially, make it easier for your dog by placing them right on top. As your dog learns how to use the snuffle mat, you can bury them further into the flaps of fabric.
3. Snuffle away!
- A snuffle mat should be hand washed (or placed in a front load washer at your own discretion).
- Allow the mat to air dry and once dry, flip upside down and shake to refluff.
As with any dog toy, your dog should be supervised when they are enjoying the snuffle mat. Always monitor your dogs interaction with the mat to ensure they are using it appropriately and not chewing or ingesting the fleece strips or rubber mat base. Remove the snuffle mat and put away in a safe place when the treats are gone and the mat is not in use, or if any part becomes loose, detached, or damaged.